Copper gutters lend timeless elegance to any home. One of the best features of copper gutters is their incredible lifespan. Provided you invest in the right roof and gutter maintenance, it’s unlikely you’ll ever need to worry about replacing your copper gutters.
What Kind of Maintenance Do Copper Gutters Need?
Just like with other elements of your home, copper gutters still need some maintenance to remain in tip-top condition. Be wary of discoloration that can be caused by leaves and other kinds of debris. Patina is a layer that builds up on the exterior of metals like copper, the result of an oxidation process over time. Some homeowners prefer to keep patina on their gutters for aesthetic appeal, while others choose to remove it.
If you choose to remove the patina from your copper gutters, just follow these steps:
1. Pour and mix four cups of flour, four cups of salt and four cups of vinegar into a plastic bucket to create a cleaning paste.
2. Exercising great caution, place a ladder onto the edge of your home, being careful not to dent the material.
3. Hang the cleaning paste on a bucket hook.
4. Get a soft-bristled scrub brush and dip half of the bristles in the cleaning solution that you just made.
5. Wipe the brush on the surface in a clockwise manner and only stop once the solution is completely used.
6. Remove the solution with a soft cloth and check if all the patina has been removed. Repeat until the copper gutters on your residential roofing system are spotless.
With nearly 30 years of roof repair, replacement and maintenance experience, Universal Roofing & Exteriors is one of the most trusted roofers in Indiana. Give us a call at (317) 257-0779 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Carmel and Zionsville, IN.