Copper Roofing Indianapolis
When it comes to copper roofing, let’s start with an undeniable benefit: copper roofs are simply stunning. The most charming of all metal roofing selections, copper roofing is increasingly becoming a trendy roofing option, and for many great reasons. The golden sheen of new copper develops a blue-green veneer over time. Some people might think the green patina is a sign of deterioration, but it actually protects the copper from further corrosion. Both tones complement your house and give it a unique, charming appeal. There are zero doubts that copper roofing is stunning, but the benefits don’t stop there. Besides being possibly the most elegant roofing material, copper roofs provide excellent durability, safety, and strength.
The Pros and Cons of Copper Roofing
Like any metal roof, copper roofing offers a comprehensive range of benefits to homeowners:
- Sturdiness—Copper roofs are built to last up to 100 years or more with proper care and maintenance. Copper is highly resistant to hail, fire, and mold
- Lightweight—Copper is not a heavy metal roofing material, which is a great benefit when you’re installing it. Lightweight roofs don’t stress your home’s frame or internal structures the same way that heavier materials like clay tiles, steel, or wood shakes do. This could be important during heavy snowfalls
- Energy-efficient—Like most metal roofs, copper is energy-efficient and reflects light instead of allowing heat inside. Copper roofing can help you stay on top of cooling and heating costs
- Weather-Resistant—This metal roofing material can easily hold its own against any weather, including hurricane-force winds, humidity, intense heat, and more
- Flexible—Copper is naturally malleable, so an expert with the skills and tools can mold it to fit over any house shape
- Fire-Resistant—Copper roofs never burn, and they are naturally fungus- and mildew-resistant
- Easy to Maintain—Not only is it weather-resistant and robust, but homeowners will not have to do any repairs or upkeep
- Curb Appeal—Copper is, without a doubt, a breathtaking roofing material. If you’re trying to increase your home’s resale value, this would be a great choice, because who doesn’t like the idea of a gorgeous, maintenance-free roof?
For these reasons and more, copper roofing offers excellent marketability and resale value to your property.
The drawbacks of copper roofing are minimal but worth taking note of:
- Noise—First, copper does not buffer noise the way softer materials as wood or asphalt do. When installing copper over an open frame, you should also place sound-absorbing materials beneath, like an existing shingle roof, plywood, or solid sheathing.
- Cost—The principal disadvantage to a copper roof is the cost. It is by far the most expensive metal roofing option. Copper installation can cost two to three times more than a standard asphalt roof. Installation can be quick and easy, but the materials can be costly. This aspect could be prohibitive to some homeowners, but you should consider the long-term benefits of this investment. You might be paying more upfront, but copper roofing will minimize replacement or maintenance costs in the long run. While asphalt might cost a third of copper material, copper will last almost five times as long.
- Changes in Shape—Copper roofs may expand and contract as the weather changes, loosening the fasteners. This is not a significant cause for concern, but it’s vital that you monitor these changes to ensure your home’s safety.
The benefits of a copper roof unquestionably outweigh the additional expenses, but this is a personal decision every homeowner must make for themselves.
Things to Consider and Keep In Mind
Homeowners don’t have to cover their entire home with copper to enjoy the beauty it provides. You can instead accent your home and protect portions of your house. For example, you could install copper over the main entryway or bay windows. Among all the possible metal roofing options, copper roofing is preferred for its attractive appearance and style. It has a distinctly alluring look, especially on wooden homes. While it changes color over time, the elegant jade hue is just as appealing.
Are You Interested in Copper Roofing for Your Home?
Copper roofing is a fantastic choice for anyone who wants more than a functional roof. It offers an aesthetically pleasing, distinguished grace along with practical benefits like strength and efficiency. Installing copper roofs necessitates a unique skill set. Our roofers train for many years to produce breathtaking craftsmanship with phenomenal results. Contact Universal Roofing & Exteriors to schedule a free evaluation and consultation to learn more about copper roofs and other roofing options.